GOOLD SHAPLEY & MUIR CO.
                                                                                          LIMITED


logoi
Established in 1892, The Goold Shapley and Muir Company, it has been renowned for its windmills, winning major prizes in the windmill test of the Royal Agricultural Society in London England. Coupled with its Windmills, however, it manufactures a complete line of Pumps and Plumbing Equipment.
In addition, the Company manufactures an extended line of Gasoline, Kerosine, Gas Engines and tractors, Concrete Mixers, and a complete range of Industrial Wood Tanks. The tanks are supplied particulary to brewery, chemical, textile and pulp and paper industries-and for sprinkler systems. The Company produces Steel Lookout Towers, from which forest rangers keep a look- out for fires. Such towers have been supplied to every government in Canada.


HEAD OFFICE AND WORKS
BRANTFORD, CANADA
BRANCHES AT WINNIPEG, REGINA, CALGARY

plant

"IDEAL" GAS, GASOLINE AND OIL ENGINES, 1 1/2 TO 60 H.P.
STATIONARY, MOUNTED AND TRACTION
----------------------
Also Makers of :
BATCH CONCRETE MIXERS (THREE SIZES)     STEEL WINDMILLS     STEEL TOWERS     TANKS     GRAIN GRINDERS
PUMPS     SAW FRAMES     AND   WATERWORKS OUTFITS,   ECT.



GS&M  Owen Bosma collection
                        Home page    3 1/2 hp Ideal horizontal Engine          
 2 1/2 hp Ideal Upright Round      
 2 1/2 hp Ideal Upright Square Hopper
 1 1/2 hp Ideal Upright Square hopper
  GS&M Miscellaneous Items




       Goold Shapley & Muir  Time  Line

1887 Edward E. Goold was in the bicycle business, which was sold to the Canada Cycle and Motor Company (CCM) of Toronto at the turn of the century.

1892 The Goold, Shapley & Muir Company was formed, makers of batch concrete mixers, steel windmills, grain grinders, pumps, water tanks, and saw frames.

1898 In march a major fire destroyed the GS&M Elgin street works, after the fire the company moved to a new location on Clarence Street.

1899 One of the first engines, a 6 h.p. horizontal engine was installed in a Tilbury, Ontario Bake Shop owned by (Sgd.) Forbes Bros.

1901 The Goold Shapley &  Muir Co. exhibited 6 horizontal engines, at the Toronto Fair.

1902 GS&M catalogue describing their line of "Ideal" engines from 2 to 25 H.P.

1905 Engines from 2 to 32 h.p. were offered, including 2 cylinder engines.

1907 In February another fire destroyed the west end of factory. At this time the     1 1/2 and the 2 1/2 h.p. vertical round hopper engines were introduced.

1907-1919 GS&M was manufacturing tractors using their own engines up to 50 H.P.

1911 Hopper cooled engines were introduced first in the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 H.P.,and later in the larger engines, except in the 25 H.P.

1914 Canada was drawn into the First World War, which seriously affected the operations  of GS&M agriculture lines.

1915 GS&M catalogue showing a complete line of engines, tractors and other goods.

1917-1920 GS&M company manufactured the Beaver tractor using Waukesha engines.

1920 Edward Goold passed away in May. At this time the "Brantford Type K" kerosene engines 2, 4, and 7 H.P.and the 1 1/2 H.P. "Brantford Cub"were introduced.

1934 Hard times had fallen on the company, its assets were liquidated and sold.

For more information on Goold, Shapley & Muir read the article by Rick Mannen as published in
the Canadian Antique Power magazine the Sept./Oct., Nov./Dec. 1995, and Jan./Feb.1996 issues.


home